Community names

0
150

Harps or Harps Crossing is located on south Hwy. 92 in the area of Harps Crossing Baptist Church. Yes, it was originally settled by Harps and yes, many still live there. At one time it had a sawmill, a grist mill, and a cotton gin. The railroad made it a thriving community in the 1920s and 1930’s. A large peach orchard furnished work for many. The railroad was taken up in 1939.

The community of Inman was first settled in the 1820s. This is another area that we do not know how it got its name. It was incorporated in 1911 and gave up its city charter in 1971. It is located on south Hwy. 92, about 4 miles south of Fayetteville.
Dublin, also known as Old Dublin, sat on south Hwy. 85, just north of Starr’s Mill. While we do not know how it got its name we do know that it disappeared shortly after The War Between The States. It lost a considerable number of its men in the war.

The area known as Starr’s Mill sits the conjuncture of Ga. Highway 85 South and Ga. Highway. 74. It technically sits in the community of Glen Grove, but somehow the Starr’s Mill name took precedence. The current mill there is the third one built at that site. It operated until the 1950s and at one time, provided electricity for the city of Senoia.

At the turn of the 1900s, the community of Lowry, which sits on Hwy. 92 south, almost to the Spalding County line, had a train depot, a store, a cotton gin, a grist mill, a sawmill, a school and a post office. We do not know how it got its name.

Chestlehurst is one of the more fascinating communities in Fayette County, albeit that it only existed from 1910 to 1913. It was on a creek and the making of bricks were all that the townspeople did. A railroad ran through the area and old tails tell of it being a pretty rough place. Remnants of the brick yard can still be found, although it now is privately owned property. It sat just to the west of Brooks, at the Fayette and Spalding boundaries.

Peachtree City now encompasses the old communities of Aberdeen and Clover. The communities sat side by side in the late 1800s and cotton and corn were its primary cash crops. It had a syrup mill, was well known for the Gordy pottery made there in the nineteen-teens. It operated four stores, a grist mill, and is located on the railroad.

Woolsey is a community that a doctor named Isaac Gray Woolsey settle on South Hwy. 92, just couple of miles south of Inman, in 1869. The community was first named Woolseyville and in the1880’s it was shortened to Woolsey. In the 1920’s and 1930’s the railroad going through the town stopped to pick up peaches from a big peach orchard there as well as watermelons.

The cities of Fayetteville, Brooks, Peachtree City, and Tyrone have been written about in “The History of Fayette County,” published in 1977. It is located in all the city and county libraries. You can also find more information on many of the above named communities in the book.