Five men arrested for burglarizing store twice in a week

Five men arrested for burglarizing store twice in a week

Burglarizing the Dick’s Sporting Goods store at the Fayette Pavilion in Fayetteville for a second time in a week led to the arrest of five men from south Fulton County.

Above, burglary suspects (L-R, top) Brandon Wallace, Daevon Speller, Dante Stubbs; (botton, L-R) Terrance Coffil and Trevion Hinesman. Photos/Fayette County Jail.

Charged with the burglary and theft of firearms, which could include federal charges, were 24-year-old Union City resident Brandon Wallace, 19-year-old Fairburn resident Trevion Hinesman, 21-year-old Fairburn resident Daevon Speller, 22-year-old Fairburn resident Dante Stubbs and 20-year-old Union City resident Terrance Coffil, according to Fayette County Jail records.

Fayetteville Police Department spokesman Chad Myers said the second burglary at Dick’s occurred in the early morning hours of Dec. 28. The burglary was preceded by one on Dec. 21.

Myers said an alarm call was sounded at 3:42 a.m., with officers arriving at the store less than five minutes later.

As with the first burglary, officers found the store’s rear door unsecured and, once inside, found that the cable on the shotgun case had been cut, Myers said.

Myers said a Fayette County deputy quickly spotted a suspicious vehicle in the general area of the burglary and made a traffic stop. The five charged with the burglary were arrested and six shotguns recovered. Also in the vehicle were two handguns stolen during the Dec. 21 burglary, Myers said.

Burglars during an early morning incident at Dick’s Sporting Goods at the Fayette Pavilion on Dec. 21 made off with nine handguns after smashing a display case lock.

Myers said the alarm-activated incident occurred around 4:30 a.m. when burglars entered the store’s rear door, though there was no forced entry observed by officers.

The burglars then entered the back hallway by accessing an area that had been recently drywalled, said Myers, adding that the interior door into the showroom was not forced.

Once in the showroom, the burglars attempted to smash the handgun display cases, but were unable to do so since the cases were not made of glass. Nine handguns were stolen after the lock on one of the display cases was forced, said Myers.

In all, the burglars were in and out of the store in one minute, 20 seconds, said Myers.

Myers said an alarm was sounded earlier that night when an object hit the glass in the storefront. The key holder did not come to the scene, Myers noted.