Winners all around at fundraiser

0
5

The Woodward Out of School Fund held its first annual Bunco Tournament to raise funds needed to help Fayette families afford after-school care for their students.

The Woodward Out of School Fund, the vision of Lois Woodward, a 20-year leader in the Fayette County After School Program (ASP), provides tuition scholarships for eligible students in the Fayette County Public School System whose families are in financial need.

Scholarships are for six weeks, and usually cover 90 percent of the weekly $50 tuition with families paying the remaining 10 percent. Approximately 15 to 20 scholarships are awarded each year. ASPs are offered at all elementary schools; beginning immediately after the school day and operating until 6:30 p.m. Students must be enrolled in the Fayette County Public School System to participate.

The Woodward Fund holds various fundraisers throughout the year to collect donations needed to support the scholarships. A Bunco tournament was introduced this year as the newest fundraising activity with over 80 people participating. Held at the Flat Creek Country Club, participants enjoyed food and some friendly competition while raising over $2,870.

While students and their families are the big winners of the fundraiser, some participants walked away with a few prizes as well. Kedron Elementary had the most school-level participation, and won a pizza party for a faculty meeting. Individual prizes were given to players with the most wins. First place ($100 prize) went to Lolly Martin, Patsy Slagle secured second place ($50 prize), and Carla Zonneveld took third, winning a weekend at the Peachtree City Wyndham.

Individuals can help the Woodward Out of School Fund throughout the year by mailing a donation to the Woodward Out of School Fund, 275 Marion Boulevard, Fayetteville, GA 30215. For more information, and to learn about future fundraising events, visit https://sites.google.com/site/woodwardoutofschoolfundforasp.