Old F’ville depot is still in use


The old, original train depot, built in 1902, is still in Fayetteville and still in use.

The train tracks were laid down through Fayetteville in 1887 and came from Atlanta, through Kenwood, into Fayetteville, into Inman and Woolsey and entered north Spalding County. It was operated at first by the Atlanta and Ft. Valley Railroad Company and in 1885 it was acquired by the Southern Railway Company.

The tracks in Fayetteville came down what is now known as Jeff Davis Drive north and Jeff Davis Drive south. It sat at the spot now known as South Jeff Davis and Highway 54 east.

It came down those tracks in the morning at first, and turned left in Spalding County and ended up in Fort Valley. It came back up through Fayetteville in late afternoon. About 1910 it turned right in Spalding County and ended up in Columbus and then returned back through Fayetteville.

The tracks were taken up in 1939 when cotton was no longer king and trucks were hauling the local produce to market.

The Depot was built in 1902 and moved to its present site in 1985. It sits near the water tower just off Ga. Highway 54 and really was just moved across the street.

For several years, the refurbished depot was used as the meeting chambers for the City Council. Now, it is managed by Fayetteville’s Main Street Program and is available for rent. It is used for meetings, plays, wedding and baby showers and an occasional wedding.

The former offices can be used for small meetings or changing rooms.

For information call Joyce Waits, Main Street, 770-719-4173.