A space heater is being blamed for causing a fire that destroyed a trailer in downtown Tyrone last week.
The trailer, located adjacent to Tyrone Tire, caught fire Jan. 21 but no one was hurt, fire officials said. The resident had left the space heater on for several dogs while the resident was away, officials said.
The fire was well underway when the first crew arrived on the scene. The crew’s response was delayed initially because the wrong address was given by the person reporting the fire, officials said.
The trailer was adjacent to the CSX railroad tracks, and as a precaution trains were advised to slow down while the fire was knocked down.
Less than 20 minutes later, CSX was given the all-clear to return to normal operations in the area.