ANNOUNCEMENT OF CANDIDACY
[Editor’s note: The Citizen offers each candidate for local office the opportunity of one announcement of candidacy at no charge.]
The following is the announcement by Roy Rabold:
I am excited about the opportunity to continue to serve the people of Fayette County using my forty-plus years of educational experience to continue assisting our teachers, administrators, Superintendent and parents in charting a course to further the success of the Fayette County School System.
My responsibilities as assistant principal and principal of three Fayette County high schools have given me a valuable perspective to effectively serve District 2 on the Board of Education.
I have been an administrator in Fayette County for thirty-one years. I have served as principal of Sandy Creek and Whitewater High School where both schools won numerous awards and state and national recognition. Academic achievement was always my priority. I have continued that same philosophy as a member of the Board of Education.
As a parent and fellow homeowner of Fayette County for twenty-nine years, I understand the impact that maintaining highly rated public schools has on our community as well as our property values.
Presently, Fayette County students receive a top-quality education, earning millions of dollars in scholarships, attending prestigious universities, and positively impacting our nation through a variety of careers that range from fields in cutting-edge technology to the theater arts. People move to Fayette County for the quality of life, quality of law enforcement, and the quality of our educational system.
I am proud to have been a part of the educational system for thirty-one years as an administrator and my three and a half years on the board, currently serving as the board chairperson.
I plan to continue with my philosophy and goals which are to:
· Ensure the highest quality of education. Not all students are going to college and we must provide a quality education for all students.
· Provide equality of opportunity of education for all students across our county.
· Actively support our teachers. Make sure we continue with teacher training and the use of technology resources.
· Maintain county fiscal responsibility with taxpayer money. I understand the responsibility to be a good steward of these funds and the importance of holding our school administrators accountable for the projects funded by taxpayer dollars. You have recently passed an ESPLOST to make sure the quality education in Fayette County continues. I plan to represent you in that expectation.
· Encourage parents’ participation in their child’s education
· Support a Triangle of Success: Schools, Parents, and Students working together for student success.
· Encourage critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, and communication skills enhancement.
· Ensure a safe and healthy environment, conducive to learning for all students.
The Board of Education must continue to support and guide our schools so that our students will always have the best possible education to prepare them for the careers of the future.
Since joining the Board of Education, the Georgia School Boards Association has presented us with the coveted title of Exemplary Board three years in a row, we won the Trend Setter Award two years in a row and were named the Governance Team of the Year. We work as a cohesive group to achieve our goals and strive for excellence as a Board of Education.
It is equally important to wisely invest our tax dollars to maximize the return to our students and taxpayers. We pay one of the highest property tax millage rates in Georgia, and we should always balance new projects against lowering the tax rate if possible.
I understand the responsibility to be a good steward of these funds and the importance of holding our school administrators accountable for the projects funded by taxpayer dollars.
Evelyn, my wife of forty-seven years, and I look forward to meeting as many citizens as possible to hear your concerns and ideas to keep Fayette a top school system in Georgia. It will be my pleasure to serve our community, and that is why I am asking for your vote on May 24 in our Primary.
Roy A. Rabold
[The preceding was the initial candidacy announcement by Roy Rabold, who is seeking the Republican nomination for Fayette County Board of Education District 2 in the May 24 Republican Primary. The Citizen offers each candidate for local office the opportunity of one announcement of candidacy at no charge.]