Man shoots at deputies on Hwy. 92 South, gets shot in return


Update, Nov. 30: The Ga. Bureau of Investigation (GBI) on Nov. 30 released a statement on the Nov. 29 incident at a home on Ga. Highway 92 South where a man had barricaded himself and was repeatedly firing a weapon, and later fired on deputies who had surrounded the house. The man was struck during a return of gunfire and was transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

According to the GBI press release:

On Sunday, Nov. 29, the GBI was requested by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office to conduct an officer involved shooting investigation at 1720 Ga. Highway 92 South.

“Preliminary information indicates that at approximately 3:08 p.m., Alonzo Leroy Landy, 32, called 911 advising that he was telling people to get out of his head and was shooting rabbits. During the phone call, 911 dispatch heard numerous gunshots, and then Landy advised he was barricaded in his house.

“At approximately 3:12 p.m., deputies were dispatched for a welfare check. Landy remained on the line with dispatch where the dispatcher continued to hear gunshots being fired. Landy advised dispatch that he would defend himself and would shoot cops if he had to.

“When deputies arrived at the scene, they did not approach the residence due to Landy continuing to fire gunshots. At approximately 3:30 p.m., dispatch received a phone call that Landy had sent a mass text message to family saying he ‘couldn’t handle it anymore.’ At this time, EMS was staged in the area, the Fayette County SWAT team was dispatched, and a perimeter was staged around the property. At approximately 3:35 p.m., the negotiation team was dispatched. At this time, Landy told dispatch ‘come on blue boys’ and Landy continued to fire a gun.

“During the negotiation, it was determined Landy was heavily intoxicated and that the negotiation was ineffective. At approximately 4:20 p.m., Landy appeared to be falling asleep during the phone conversation. At this time, the SWAT team decided they would attempt to deploy a robot inside the house to check on Landy’s whereabouts. Before the SWAT team could deploy the robot, at approximately 5:12 p.m., Landy exited his residence and began firing an assault rifle at the deputies. A Fayette County Sheriff’s Office deputy returned fire, striking Landy multiple times.

“Landy was transported by EMS to Piedmont Fayette Hospital where he was pronounced deceased. No officers were injured during this incident.

“The GBI will continue its independent investigation. Upon completion, it will be turned over the Fayette County District Attorney’s Office for review,” the press release said.

Original story: A south Fayette County man at a residence on Ga. Highway 92 South opened fire on Fayette County deputies Sunday afternoon and was injured when they returned fire.

Sheriff Barry Babb in a preliminary statement said deputies were called to conduct a welfare check at a residence along Hwy. 92 South between the Inman and Woolsey communities.

Deputies arrived at approximately 3:30 p.m. to find shots being fired — apparently randomly — from the residence with a high-powered rifle, Babb said, adding that a perimeter was established and negotiators were able to contact the man by phone.

The man at one point exited the house and began firing at deputies, said Babb.

Deputies returned fire, striking the man. He was transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital for treatment, Babb said. Information about his injuries has not been released, nor has his name.

Babb said no deputies were injured in the exchange of gunfire.

Babb said the Ga. Bureau of Investigation is investigating the incident, a standard procedure in officer-involved shootings.

Additional details will be forthcoming at a later date.