McIntosh High School was evacuated around 2 p.m. today when a small fire on the roof sent smoke billowing into the building.
Students waited in groups on the grass near Walt Banks Road while Peachtree City fire crews worked to find and extinguish the blaze.
The fire was caused by insulation that caught fire as a roofing crew was working on the building, fire officials said.
No one was injured and after fire crews removed smoke from the building, students filed back in around 2:50 p.m.
Firemen had to cut into the roof deck to access the burning insulation and extinguish the flames before they could spread, explained Assistant Fire Marshal Chris Campbell. The affected area was about eight feet by eight feet in size, he said.
The fire department was alerted to the blaze by a fire alarm that signaled trouble in the area of the auditorium and gym, Campbell said.
McIntosh Principal Lisa Fine commended the students “for their superior conduct and cooperation during the evacuation.”