Peachtree City police arrested a six-member shoplifting gang Wednesday afternoon on charges of shoplifting items from the Peachtree City Walmart store.
Walmart’s loss prevention staff called police about one of the shoplifters, but it was a citizen’s tip on a suspicious vehicle that led officers to make the arrests, police said.
The citizen called in a suspicious gray Nissan Quest minivan with six occupants inside. A short time later, officers stopped the vehicle at 361 Ga. Highway 74 north.
Subsequent interviews revealed that the men inside the vehicle had been shoplifting items from other businesses and were returning them for cash.
Beyond the six arrests, police confiscated a “significant amount” of merchandise that had been purloined by the crew. Officers also impounded the vehicle, police said.
Arrested and charged with theft by shoplifting were:
• Marvin M. Wrighton, 48, of Peachtree Street, Atlanta
• Tony L. Wiley, 35, of Dalton Street, Atlanta
• John L. Stewart, 37, of Temple Street, Atlanta
• Abdul Nasrrudiyn, 47, of Peachtree Street, Atlanta
• Eugene L. Nwoye, 26, of Main Station Drive, Marietta
• George Johnson, 53, of Luckie Street, Atlanta.