Peachtree City Police negotiate baby’s safe release, father’s surrender in hostage standoff

Dikim Bailey. Photo/Fayette County Jail.
Dikim J. Bailey. Photo/Fayette County Jail.

A Peachtree City man has been charged with kidnapping after striking his girlfriend and snatching their 2-month-old infant, then threatening to kill himself and the baby. Peachtree City’s Special Response Team surrounded the Fairfield Drive home and successfully negotiated the baby’s release and the man’s surrender.

Dikim J. Bailey, 21, was charged with kidnapping, simple battery-family violence and terroristic threats and acts, according to Fayette County Jail records.

Peachtree City Police Department spokesman Chris Hyatt said officers at approximately 10 p.m. on June 14 responded to a domestic call on Fairfield Drive off Ga. Highway 74 North.

Officers, who met Bailey’s girlfriend nearby, learned that the two were staying at the residence temporarily and had been arguing during the day, Hyatt said.

The girlfriend is the mother of a 4-year-old and the 2-month-old. Bailey is the father of the 2-month-old.

The argument escalated and, at one point, Bailey told the woman to leave or he would shoot her, Hyatt said, adding that the girlfriend left the residence with both children.

Bailey followed her after she left the residence, walking toward the entrance of the subdivision. Bailey caught up with her, snatched the baby from the girlfriend and struck her, then returned to the house, said Hyatt.

The girlfriend told officers she received texts from Bailey indicating that he would kill the baby and himself if she called the police, Hyatt noted.

The girlfriend called police nonetheless, and met them in an area near the residence.

Hyatt said the city’s Special Response Team (SRT) was activated and arrived in the area.

Bailey continued to send text and videos to the girlfriend, Hyatt added.

The SRT negotiator contacted Bailey and was able to de-escalate the incident, with Bailey placing the baby unharmed outside the home, Hyatt explained.

Bailey’s surrender was subsequently negotiated, and he was taken into custody at 2 a.m. without the use of force, said Hyatt.