From outdoor community celebrations to quiet, indoor Holy Communion services, churches on the south side of Atlanta are ready for Christmas. One of the holiest events on the Christian calendar will be celebrated at many churches both on the eve and on the day of the birth of Christ.
The following churches have announced their Christmas events:
The entire community can gather to celebrate an outdoor Christmas Eve at the Fayetteville Town Square when Rolling Hills Baptist Church once again celebrates Christmas with a special community “Christmas by Candlelight” event on Thursday, Dec. 24, from 6 -6:30 p.m. The event will include singing Christmas carols at the Gazebo, reading the Christmas story, and singing Silent Night by candlelight. The event is open to the public.
“Our real motive here is to offer something to a community of people who sense there is something more to the holiday than what they’ve experienced previously” says Frank Mercer, senior pastor at Rolling Hills. “There are many who might feel cynical about attending a church service or hypocritical about attending only on Christmas Eve. This is a simple gathering for friends and neighbors who are looking for the hope, joy and love that Christmas promises.”
Rolling Hills worships on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. at the NCG Cinemas at Fischer Crossings, just across the Fayette County line in Coweta County. For more information on Rolling Hills, visit http://WheresTheSteeple.org.
• All Saints Anglican Church will have three services on Christmas Eve. The 5 p.m. service will be family friendly with a nursery provided. The 10:30 p.m. service will feature Christmas Carols and stories. The 11 p.m. service will be a “Midnight” Candlelight Mass.
On Friday, Christmas Day, a 10 a.m. service will be held with Holy Communion.
All Saints Anglican Church is at 149 Ebenezer Rd., Fayetteville, (just east of Peachtree City). For more information, visit www.ptcanglican.org or call 770-486-5374.
• Brooks Christian Church invites the community to celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas Eve at 6 p.m. with a candlelight communion service. Scripture and Christmas carols will highlight the worship experience. Brooks Christian Church is at 969 Ga. Highway 85 Connector in downtown Brooks, just four miles south of Starr’s Mill. For more information, visit www.brookschristian.org.
• Carriage Lane Presbyterian Church in Peachtree City will have a Candlelight Christmas Eve worship service at 6 p.m., Dec. 24. The Rev. Dr. Douglas Griffith, senor pastor, will deliver the message. During the four Sundays of Advent leading up to Christmas, the worship services have featured Scripture and music focused on praising God for the coming of His Son into this world to bring salvation. The pastor has been preaching a series called “The Perfect Timing & Treasures Of Christmas,” which focuses on a Bible passage from Galatians 4:4-7 that speaks of how Jesus came at the perfect time to bring us the greatest treasures which meet our deepest needs. The church is at the intersection of Ga. Highway 54 East and Carriage Lane in Peachtree City. Visit the church’s website at www.carriagelanepres.com.
• The Catholic Church of St. Gabriel in Fayetteville will have Christmas Eve Masses at 5, 8, and 11 p.m. The Solemn Mass of Christmas will be celebrated Christmas Day at 10:30 a.m. New Year’s Masses will be celebrated Dec. 31 at 6 p.m. and Jan. 1 at noon. The church is at 152 Antioch Rd., Fayetteville. For information, call 770-461-0492 or visit www.stgabrielga.com.
• Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will offer four candlelight communion services on Christmas Eve. The 4:30 p.m. service is especially family-friendly, with a performance by the children’s choir, but a nursery will also be provided at the 6:30 service for children three and under. The other services will be at 8:30 and 10:30 p.m., with the 10:30 service featuring special music by Sanctuary Choir and Joyful Noise Ringers. Soloists and ensembles will sing and play music at all services. Pastor Fritz Wiese will be the preacher, with Pastor Miriam Beecher celebrating Holy Communion and Intern Pastor Young Kim assisting.
The Christmas morning service on Dec. 25 is at 10 a.m. Intern Pastor Young will be the preacher. Young not only serves Christ Our Shepherd, but she is also pastor to Hope International Mission in Doraville, a Korean-American congregation which also seeks to serve Hispanic worshippers, as well as those from Africa and the Middle East. The atmosphere will be relaxed and welcoming. All will be invited to receive Holy Communion.
Two services of Lessons and Carols with Communion are scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 27 at 8:30 and 11 a.m. These are the only services that weekend. The 11 a.m. service will celebrate the baptism of Caroline Noel Price.
Christ Our Shepherd church is on the corner of Ga. Highway 54 and Peachtree Parkway in Peachtree City.
• Dogwood Church in Tyrone will have services at 12:30, 2, 3:30 and 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve. The church is at 975 Ga. Highway 74 North., For more information, visit www.dogwoodchurch/.
• Evergreen Church will have two candlelight services on Christmas Eve, one at 5 p.m. and another at 8 p.m. The church is at 400 Windgate Rd., Peachtree City. For more information, visit www.evergreenchurchga.org.
• Fayetteville First United Methodist Church will have traditional candlelight services on Christmas Eve at 4,6, and 11 p.m. The church is at 175 East Lanier Ave. in Fayetteville, across from the historic courthouse.
• First Presbyterian Church in Peachtree City on Willowbend Road will have a family friendly Candlelight Christmas Eve Service at 6 p.m. First Presbyterian is an open and affirming church welcoming everyone. For additional information, call the church office, 770-487-7757.
• Flat Creek Baptist Church will have a Candlelight Christmas Eve Service Thursday, Dec. 24, at 5 p.m. The church is at 161 Flat Creek Trail between Ga. Highway 54 and Tyrone Road. For information, call 770-487-4890 or visit www,flatcreekbaptist.org.
• Hopewell United Methodist Church in Tyrone invites the community to share in its Christmas services. On Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, there will be a traditional service at 7 p.m., to prepare everyone for Christmas Day. Everyone in the community is invited to come to Hopewell’s services. You do not need to be a member of the Methodist Church, or any church, to participate and celebrate Christmas at Hopewell. The church is located at 351 Jenkins Rd., across from Sandy Creek High. For more information contact the church office, 770-306-7537.
• Christmas Eve worship at North Fayette United Methodist Church will begin at 11 p.m. with a service of candlelight and communion. Everyone is invited to attend and participate. North Fayette United Methodist Church is located at 847 New Hope Road, Fayetteville.
• Peachtree City United Methodist Church will have a family service with candle lighting, “A Not So Silent Night,” at 5 p.m. Communion and candle lighting will be held at 7 and 9 p.m. The church is at 225 Robinson Rd., Peachtree City. For more information, visit www.ptcumc.org.
• Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Fayetteville will have three Christmas Eve services, a family service at 4 p.m. featuring Chester the camel and friends, and traditional services at 8 and 11 p.m. featuring the pipe organ, special music and Holy Communion. The church is on Ga. Highway 314 between Lowe’s and The Pavilion. For information, call 770-461-3403 or visit www.princeofpeacefayette.org.
• Providence United Methodist Church offers Christmas Eve worship services at 3, 5 and 7 p.m. Children will ring bells and sing Christmas songs to open the 3 p.m. service. The service also includes the pure and simple story of Christ’s birth as told by Grandpa and his granddaughter, Christina. A short message follows, and the congregation will “light” glow sticks to represent Christ’s light for the world.
During the 5 p.m. contemporary service, Adam Holt and the Praise Band will sing the Casting Crowns arrangement of “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.” Praise and worship will feature current versions of favorite Christmas carols. Dr. Diane Parrish will present an inspirational message followed by Holy Communion, candlelight and the sounds of “Silent Night.”
The 7 p.m. traditional Christmas Eve service will feature familiar Christmas hymns with the Adult Choir, soloists and Adam Holt as he sings the theme song for the Providence Christmas season, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.” An inspirational message will be shared by Dr. Diane Parrish followed by Holy Communion and candlelight.
Providence is at 592 Bernhard Road in southern Fayette County between Ga. Highway 85 and Redwine Road. For information or directions, call 770-719-8800 or visit provumc.com.
• Senoia United Methodist Church will have two Christmas Eve services on Dec. 24. A children’s nativity and Holy Communion will be featured at a 5 p.m. service, and a Candlelight Communion service will be held at 11 p.m. Senoia UMC is on the corner of Bridge and Seavy Streets in Senoia. For more information, visit www.senoiaumc.org or call 770-599-3245.
• The South Atlanta Christian Fellowship will host a Christmas Program at Fayetteville Presbyterian Church, 791 Forrest Ave, Fayetteville, on Dec. 26 at 5 p.m. For more information, contact Mr. Santhosh Thomas at 404-542-1616 or email@example.com.
• St. Andrew’s in-the-Pines Episcopal Church in Peachtree City will have three services on Christmas Eve: at 4:30 p.m. – Holy Eucharist Rite II with Children’s Pageant; at 10 p.m. – Carols and Instruments; and at 10:30p.m. – Holy Eucharist Rite II with choir.
On Christmas Day, one service will be held at 10 a.m. – Holy Eucharist Rite I.
On the first Sunday after Christmas, a service of Lessons and Carols will be held at 10 a.m.
St. Andrews in-the-Pines Episcopal Church is at 316 Peachtree Parkway, North, Peachtree City. for information, call 770-487-8415 or visit www.StAndrews316.org.
• St. Christopher Hellenic Orthodox Church at 313 Dividend Drive in Peachtree City invites everyone to its Christmas services shown below:
Dec. 24: Eve of the Feast of the Holy Nativity – Christmas Vigil, 4-5:15 p.m.; Vespers, 5:15 -6 p.m.; Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, 6-7:30 p.m.
Dec 25: Holy Nativity of Jesus Christ: Orthros, 8-9 a.m.; Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, 9- 10:15 a.m.
St.Christopher’s members will feed the homeless at St. John the Wonderworker Church in Atlanta from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on Christmas Day.
• St. Paul Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will have a special candlelight service to be held at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve. The following Sunday, Dec. 27, a combined service will be held at 10 a.m. The church is at 700 Ardenlee Parkway. For information, call 770-487-0339.
• The Summit Church will have a Christmas Eve Family Worship Service on Dec. 24 at 7 p.m. The church is at 1373 Ga. Highway 92 South, Fayetteville. For more information, call 770-460-3335.
• Word of God Lutheran Church will have Christmas Eve candlelight services at 4 and 7 p.m. on Dec. 24. Holy Communion will be served at both services. A nursery will be available. A Christmas Day service will be held at 10:30 a.m. with Holy Communion. A nursery will be available. Word of God Lutheran Church is at 303 Kelly Drive, Suite 10, Peachtree City. For more information, call 770-897-4508, or visit www.woglutheran.org.