Mailbox theft suspects chased from Tyrone to Coweta


    What began March 7 as a report of stealing mail in Tyrone quickly led to a pursuit by Peachtree City Police that continued into Coweta County where Coweta deputies clocked the vehicle at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour. The vehicle was disabled by Coweta deputies on Interstate 85 and the two Atlanta residents in the vehicle were taken to the Fayette County Jail.

    Shawntay S. Simmons, 26, was charged with financial identity fraud, fleeing or attempting to elude, reckless driving, speeding and obedience to a traffic control device, according to Fayette County Jail records.

    Michael W. Harvey, 32, was charged with financial identity fraud, according to jail records.

    The multiple jurisdiction, two-county incident began in Tyrone when a resident of the Irish Village subdivision called police to report that a female had taken mail from the mailbox, said Tyrone Police Det. Andrea Johnson.

    The homeowner reported confronting the woman who subsequently left the scene, Johnson added.

    Tyrone Police issued a BOLO (be on the look-out) for the vehicle. Peachtree City Police responded, locating the vehicle and pursuing it to the Coweta County line on Ga. Highway 54.

    Peachtree City Police Public Information Officer Mark Brown said Peachtree City officers spotted the car but discontinued the chase as it entered Coweta County due to safety reasons.

    Coweta County Sheriff Mike Yeager in commenting on the Coweta County portion of the incident said his office was notified and deputies contacted the vehicle on Ga. Highway 34 after it entered Coweta. Driving erratically and failing to stop, Simmons soon entered the I-85 on-ramp and drove north, said Yeager.

    Simmons was driving erratically and on occasion reached speeds of approximately 100 miles per hour, Yeager said, adding that a couple of motorists were driven off the roadway during a portion of the pursuit.

    Yeager said deputies initiated a pit maneuver that successfully brought the vehicle to a stop on I-85 north of Exit 51 and away from guardrails that might have compromised the maneuver.

    Simmons and Harvey were taken into custody and transported to the Fayette County Jail.