Two arrested for entering autos

Peachtree City police arrested two suspects Tuesday afternoon in connection with three entering auto cases. The suspects were caught thanks to a witness description of the getaway vehicle as it left the Mellow Mushroom restaurant, police said. The suspects were apprehended at the Chick-fil-A in the Kedron Village shopping center, police said. The suspects are […]

Body of East Coweta man found in lake

A search of the area near a residence on Kensington Drive off Reese Road in east Coweta over the weekend revealed the body of 36 year-old David Brightwell in a lake behind the home. Coweta Assistant Fire Chief Todd Moore said his department was called by Coweta sheriff’s deputies on Feb. 13 at approximately 7:30 […]

Fire destroys portion of Fairburn’s historic downtown

By anyone’s standards it was a unique landmark. But all that changed in the early hours of Thursday morning when flames engulfed one of downtown Fairburn’s large historic buildings along U.S. Highway 29, resulting in the loss of several businesses. No injuries were reported in the fire that is under investigation. City Administrator Jim Williams […]

Crash involving sheriff’s wife to be reviewed

Sheriff’s Capt. Deborah Hannah was responding to a burglar alarm at her own home the afternoon of Jan. 2 when her sport utility vehicle collided with another car, sheriff’s officials said. The crash injured both Capt. Hannah, the driver of the car and the driver’s 4-year-old daughter, though their injuries were reportedly not life-threatening. Meanwhile […]

Jury rules for Fayette man in fire case

A retired Fayette County teacher has won a $110,000 jury verdict against the Hewlett-Packard Corporation for a fire at a downtown Fayetteville building that was tied to a computer scanner used by a tenant. The fire happened Feb. 16, 2006 at Once in a Lifetime Events on south Glynn Street across from the historic Fayette […]

Space heater led to trailer fire

A space heater is being blamed for causing a fire that destroyed a trailer in downtown Tyrone last week. The trailer, located adjacent to Tyrone Tire, caught fire Jan. 21 but no one was hurt, fire officials said. The resident had left the space heater on for several dogs while the resident was away, officials […]

Fireplace ashes blamed for mobile home fire

Ashes from a fireplace ignited a fire that destroyed a home in the Four Seasons mobile home community Monday afternoon, officials said. A woman and child managed to escape their home on Dolphin Drive after a neighbor spotted the flames and alerted them, said Capt. Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and […]

Residents urged to prepare for severe weather

As Severe Weather Awareness Week convenes next week, the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services is reminding local residents how they can be prepared for weather-related emergencies. The county maintains a system of 23 severe weather warning sirens located in some of the most vulnerable and densely populated areas. The sirens are sounded […]

Arson confirmed in two-home Palmetto fire

A Jan. 18 fire involving two homes on Carlton Pointe Drive in Palmetto is under investigation after it was determined that the blaze was intentionally set. Both homes were unoccupied at the time. Palmetto Fire Chief Henry Argo said the fire call came in at 4:50 p.m., with the first units responding four minutes later. […]